Sunday, June 16, 2013

Adventure Anniversary

WOW! It seems like an eternity when I look at the words--49 years ago this weekend I rode a Greyhound to Omaha, NE to join the Navy. But living it the time has flown by. As a 20 year old I had a lot of things on my "bucket List" that I needed to get done before I turned 30 so I only planned to spend four years in the service. Didn't work out that way. The 49 years have been a wonderful adventure either in the Navy or working for it as a civilian contractor. I've sailed all the oceans of the world, stepped foot on all the continents but Australia, and 49 of the 50 states. A new chapter in my life adventure will begin in six weeks when I retire. I'm no longer foolish enough to think I can see what it holds but I'm looking forward to the ride.  Enough of this...here's what is blooming this week in my garden. This is the second week the Monarda has been blooming.
Stoksia daisy is blooming too.
Here are some of the Asiatic lily's blooming this week.



And more hydrangea blooms.


The rose of the week is Julia Child. It is an excellent yellow rose.
The cut flowers and an arrangement follow. Two more women completed the floral design class at the Norfolk Botanical Garden last month. It will be even harder for me to select one to post each week.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your impending retirement. I am sure you must have some new plans for the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Les. I've got more ideas than time or energy it seems but some will see the light of day.

    ReplyDelete