Sunday, August 19, 2012

A break from the Summer heat

This week seemed to mark the transition from hot sunny days to cooler temps both day and night. The days are noticeably shorter and the humidity seems to be more bearable. Last evening as I was relaxing in the garden watching the hummingbirds bounce from flower to flower I also saw a couple of bats exhibiting their arial maneuvers. These were the first bats I've seen in quiet a few years. I hope they came to feast on the abundance of mosquitoes. Several new plants are in bloom this week. The first is Obedient plant.  I've been cutting them for two weeks and they look like they will bloom for another two weeks.
The other plant blooming is 4 O'Clocks. I remember these as a kid in my Mother's garden. It  always looked good--and I loved to collect the seeds.
The rabbits have enjoyed Prairie Sun rudbeckia but they have recovered enough to bloom,
After cutting back Monarda after its spring flowering, it is now re-blooming but much shorter.
Even this hydrangea is blooming now.  I'm surprised that in spite of  the heat the past month that it looks this good.
The rose of the week is Jude the Obscure.
This weeks cut flowers and an arrangement.

3 comments:

  1. It doesn't look like you've had a drought at all. I've never grown four o'clocks but I think they are simply gorgeous. I first saw them in the gardens at Brent & Becky's Bulbs where Brent said they bloom for the cocktail hour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to remember to cut back my Monarda after its spring bloom. Mine is reblooming, but just a little. I had the Obedient Plant in VA, it reseeded EVERYWHERE!! It is a pretty one though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie, We have had plenty of rain this summer. I've only watered the cutting beds and roses once.

    Janet, This is the best summer ever for obedient plant in my garden.

    ReplyDelete