Monday, May 9, 2011

Mothers Day

Mock Orange, Peony's and Bearded Iris stand out in the garden this Mothers day. The weather for the most part has been seasonal to cool so blooms have held a little longer than usual. The Mock Orange shrub is about 25 years old and is about 8 feet high and 10-12 feet wide-it is just spectacular.
More peony's have opened this week.  The weather this spring has been perfect and the blooms have not been beaten down by heavy rains.
Also this week more Bearded Iris's have opened.  I enjoy their subtle changes in such vibrant color.
The Flag Iris are blooming better this year than in years past. It may be that the clumps are mature and I haven't moved them in a couple of years. I was ready to give up on them but after this years show I'll keep them.
This next shrub is Crispa. It took a few years before I was able to figure out what it needed to thrive. I now have it potted in a large planter--it likes shade but can not compete with tree roots. The flowers are not large but the foliage and habit add to its interest.
The curb garden clematis and siberian iris decorate the mailbox right now. I wish it looked like this all year.
These are the cut flowers for church this week. The vase for the arrangement was my Mothers and the flowers are from my garden. Her birthday was this last week so it was nice to remember her this way.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy your clematis and iris together. Really like that purple and white iris, what a beauty.

    ReplyDelete