Sunday, October 17, 2010

Angel's Trumpet

The Angel's Trumpet has bloomed sporadically this year but the heavy rain a couple of weeks ago and warm days were just what it needed to burst into full bloom.  This was never high on my "must have" plant list but I picked one up at a spring plant sale about 5 years ago.  I guess my reluctance is the size.  It dies back with a frost but grows to 6-8 feet and really dominates its space in the garden.  Mine is in mostly shade getting about 2 hours of sun a day.  In full sun they bloom very profusely.  My neighbor down the street has a pink one in his front yard and as you can see in the pictures the blooms are held at an angle from the vertical whereas the yellow are in a vertical drop.







I thought I'd show the progress on the plants that were budding last week.  In the fall the garden moves at a more leisurely pace--the spring seems like a race too often.  I think the cooler temps and shortening days keep plants in the bud stage longer.  Here are Anemone, Ligularia, Stokesia and Tuberose this week.





This weeks church flowers and an arrangement,


No comments:

Post a Comment