Sunday, April 18, 2010

Azalea Time

A week of mostly cooler than normal weather and the forecast for another week of cool weather is perfect for enjoying azalea's in bloom.  It took me quite a few years to fully appreciate this shrub.  I can remember pruning them at our first house in Norfolk--I hacked them back and they never recovered.  I think a good landscaper would strive to layout azalea plantings to achieve harmony in height and color. I'm getting a feel for using them in the landscape but I still have some rearranging to do in my garden.  Fortunately they are very forgiving but do need a little attention the first couple of years until they get established but that's about it.  A sample of what is blooming in the garden.  The first two are two year old plantings in dry shade.

This next is a favorite of mine.  I scavenged this azalea from the curb on garbage pick-up day when I saw it on my way to work.  It  is a real beauty.
This last azalea picture is in the shady side yard and are close to 30 years old.  They now reach above the roof line about 8 feet.  I have only trimmed them to keep them off the siding.

And finally it was slim pickings for church flowers this week.  Azaleas hold for a couple of days, the Solomons Seal was blooming, and a couple of Deutzia branches.

No comments:

Post a Comment