Sunday, September 4, 2011

Fall has arrived

It was a very pleasant week with moderate daytime temps and cool nights. Fall is the season when I linger over each flower knowing that with the first frost it will be lost. I didn't spend a lot of time lingering this week though since I had a lot of post Irene garden cleanup. The most damage was to dahlias and roses--both were top heavy with bud or bloom. The roses will recover but some of the dahlias were broken off at the tuber so they are lost for this year. The biggest impact in my garden this week is Sweet Autumn Clematis. This is an aggressive vine that I trim every couple of weeks to restrain it to the arbor. But it is a show stopper when it blooms.
The Ginger Lily's started to bloom this week too.  They withstood the winds with no damage.
They heavy rains were just what the Rain Lily's needed to burst into bloom.
The sedum is showing the first blush of color.
The rose of the week is Peace.  This rose was first introduced in France in the 1930's and later re-named 'Peace' when it was introduced in the US in 1945 at the end of WWII. I remember seeing this rose in my Grandmother's garden when I was 5 or 6 years old where it was prominently displayed. This is the only rose I have always had in my garden. I took several cuttings for church flowers this week and picked the arrangement with Peace.
This weeks church cuttings and an arrangement.

No comments:

Post a Comment