Sunday, January 16, 2011

Snowdrops and Buds

I couldn't help but snap a picture of these snowdrops.  I don't remember when I planted them but they like this spot beneath a dogwood and will bloom for the next 4 weeks or more.
While I was taking my time cleaning up the front yard I noticed buds swelling on shrubs and trees.  As you look at them you can almost see them swelling as they prepare to break open in the weeks ahead.  Even in the depth of winter the plant world is waking up.  These buds are Dogwood, Rhododendron, Cherry, and Magnolia.
I took advantage of seasonable winter weekend weather to leisurely reshape some Holly's by the front walk.  I could cut a bit, take the time to eyeball it, and snip, snip some more.  While trimming them I took the time to pull them open to check for scale on the inside branches--none this year.  A once a year trim is all they need.

No comments:

Post a Comment