Hurricane Earl stayed well out to sea--I got less than a half inch of rain and winds less than 25 knots but I have a Weeping Threadleaf Arborvitae that needed bracing if strong winds came in. Last fall during a Nor'easter I tied it to a stake in the ground but it pulled the stake and was bent over about 45 degrees so I tried a different method this year but it is still untested. It has a large sail area so it is difficult to protect from high winds. I took these pictures before the storm with the last one showing the bracing.
This flower has been blooming for two months but I can't remember the name. Searched for it online but no joy--I'm sure it starts with the letter "d". I've had it for a couple of years and it is doing better this year than ever--it seems to do well in dry conditions.
The turtlehead "hot lips" is now blooming and is a long lasting cut flower.
And these flowers went to church this weekend. I didn't get any pics of the arrangements this week.