Wednesday, March 12, 2014

My garden awakens

It took a little longer this year but there is finally color in my garden. The daffodils started blooming yesterday and today they just exploded.
My first lenten rose opened this week too.
It was a harsh winter but the Mahonia blooms were not affected.
I think the Edgeworthia bloom is actually looking better this year than in past years though it is blooming a little later. The first pic is the shrub and then the blossom.

One of my favorite spring flowers is Star Magnolia. This is the first bloom that is just starting to open.
Some of the roses have significant die (freeze) back this year. The pictures below are of two roses; one with major die back and the other with very little. They are both three year old roses, own root cuttings from the same parent, and planted three feet apart. Why did one die back and not the other? I'm at a loss to explain it.


1 comment:

  1. I don't know how I could survive February and March without hellebores, narcissus and edgeworthia.

    ReplyDelete