Sunday, January 15, 2012

Last month I updated the software on my computer to MAC OS 10.7.2 and unfortunately my Olympus camera was no longer compatible. The workaround to download files was time consuming so it was time to retire this 11 year old camera. I selected a FUJIFILM HS20EXR camera as a replacement. I'm still figuring out all the features but so far I like it. Here is my first flower pic with the new camera. It's a fall blooming camellia.
For the past several months I've been working on building a garden behind the church for cutting and public enjoyment. It started last spring when I quickly planted bare root roses that had arrived. I didn't spend time siting them on their growth habits in the rush to get them in the ground. The roses did very well this summer and I'll move those that need more room in late February or March. This is a picture of the garden. The fence on the right is for climbers. The garden is triangular shaped about 50 feet per side. The draining ditch is for runoff from the church roof.
Below is a rough sketch of the garden--the red mark is where the picture was taken. 
This is a list of the plants in the garden. The "A" roses were planted last spring and the "B" roses this fall.
For the past couple of years I've taken cuttings from this Magnolia tree for church flower arrangements. The owner of the lot where the tree stands has told me that her grandmother planted it over a hundred years ago. Unlike most Magnolia's that are trimmed in urban settings, an arborist has never touched this tree.
When you step into the tree it's like entering cathedral since your eye is drawn to the sky and while it stands next to a 4 lane highway it seems you're in a different world.
These are the foliage cuttings I cut this week for church flower arrangements and a couple of arrangements.


No comments:

Post a Comment