Sunday, May 23, 2010

First Hydrangea Blooms

This week the first hydrangea buds opened.  It seems as though there is always room for another of these in the garden and the hybridizers are good at introducing new varieties that can't be resisted.  This one is about 8-10 years old.



I have only one viburnum but I've seen them blooming heavy this spring in yards and along highways.  This is 'winterthur' and is about 4 feet high.



The hot dry "no mans land" between the curb and the sidewalk is just the right spot for Gaillardia.  I remember these growing at my grandparents farm house in South Dakota.  




I have a love hate relationship with Spiderwort. I like it where I plant it--I don't like it when I find it in volunteering in other spots since it will crowd them out.  I'm watching it engage in a battle with Day Lilys and Monarda.  When I was taking this picture I caught a bee making its approach to landing.


And this weeks church flowers.


No comments:

Post a Comment